In this challenge, the contestant begins with a stack of thirty-nine red cups (Australia) / blue cups (United States), with one blue cup (Australia) / red cup (United States) at the base. In a test of speed and focus, the contestant must inch the red (United States) / blue (Australia) one upwards by moving cups from the top of the stack to the bottom, using alternating hands. This must be repeated thirty-nine times, until the blue (Australia) / red (United States) cup returns to the position it started in: at the base.
Player must hold a stack of blue cups with 1 red cup at the bottom. Player must move cups 1 at a time from the top to the bottom of the stack, trying to cycle the red cup back to the bottom of the stack. Some countries play this game with a stack of red cups and one blue cup.
This is a level 1 challenge with a team version at level 2 requiring both players to do this.
- 39 cups (Usually Red but Originally Blue)
- 1 of different color (Usually Blue but Originally Red)
Set up the stack of cups so that there's 1 red cup with 39 blue cups stacked on top of it. When the clock starts, player may grab a single cup from the top of the stack and place it on the bottom of the stack. You can also play this game with a stack of 39 red cups and one blue cup.
1. Prior to game start, contestant must be in a standing position and holding the stack of cups with both hands only on the contrasting color cup at the bottom of the stack.
2. Once game begins, contestant grabs a single cup from the top of the stack, and places it onto the bottom of the stack.
3. Player must move cups, one at a time, alternating hands.
4. If a player completely removes more than one cup at a time from the stack, (whether grabbing multiples, or dropping to the floor) all cups outside of the stack must be placed on the top of the stack before a cup may be placed at the bottom.
5. To receive credit for placing cups on top of the stack, they must be placed, then the hand placing them removed before they may be touched again.
6. Though players may bend over to pick up dropped cups, the player may not sit, kneel or place the stack on the ground. The game is to be played from a standing position. Any violation of this rule results in a failure.
7. To complete the game, the red or blue cup, depending on the country, (after traveling upward through the stack) must be removed from the top and placed on the bottom of the stack AND the entire stack must be held in only one hand via the cup that was first at the base within the 60-second time limit.
Tips & Tricks
Get into the zone and concentrate as you get into a rhythm. Use your fingertips or hands, but don't go too fast if you decide to use your hands as you can drop cups and end up wasting time.